Conference Day One
25 October 2018
06:30 Early morning networking activities start
08:30 Registration and welcome coffee
Lynne Payne, Industry Portfolio Manager Faculty of Information Technology, Monash University
DEVELOPING THE SKILLSET TO ADVANCE YOUR CAREER
09:00 INSPIRATIONAL SESSION: Develop your skillset – if you’re going to lead you have to be able to walk the walk
Fiona Habermehl, Executive Director, EY
09:30 From farm girl to Fintech entrepreneur
Understanding how and why Ruth left a stable financial services career to take the plunge into start-up land
Discussing how you can innovate within your own organisation or start your own business armed with just an idea
Creating a successful tech start-up and get funding despite not having a tech background
Tips for attracting global organisations as clients
Ruth Hatherley, Founder, Moneycatcha
10:00 PANEL DISCUSSION: Meet the Boss – what inspired these leaders to achieve senior positions, how did they do it and where to next?
10:40 Morning tea
ENCOURAGING RISING STARS TO BUILD A CAREER IN TECH
11:10 Building a successful career in tech. for the good of the many
Masha is specialised in machine learning and data mining, but rather to dedicate her talent in business intelligence and other financial services, she choose to apply technology for specific social purposes and build a career focusing on making the life of others better and safer. Listen to her story, her achievements and vision on the purpose of technology in our society.
Dr Mahsa Salehi, Lecturer and Researcher, Faculty of Information Technology, Monash University
11:30 Developing the SunFun app – hear from the students from Pacific Pines Tech Girls who created this award winning app
11:50 Mentoring the next generation of women and encouraging rising stars to build a great career in tech
- Growing from the bottom up
- Embracing diversity as a competitive advantage
- Understanding the challenges for career advancement and how to overcome them
How do you know if you have what it takes to move to top roles?
Ally Watson, Chief Executive Officer and Co-Founder, Code Like a Girl
12:15 Networking lunch
KEEPING PACE WITH A CONSTANTLY EVOLVING SECTOR
13:15 How technology is shaping the future of careers
- Advancing women in science, technology, engineering and maths and encouraging cross department diversity and inclusion
- The benefits of encouraging women to pursue a career in STEM
Understanding the critical role of cross-department engagement to enable company-wide D&I success
Karen Lay-Brew, President, ABSIA
13:40 Co-presentation - Empowering women and girls to pursue Tech and Digital career opportunities
In this highly interactive session, the facilitators will kick off by sharing their experiences in their career journeys in the tech and digital space. Next, you will have the opportunity to share their stories, get empowered and empower others to reach their professional goals.
Key focus points:
- Why being mentored and becoming a mentor to achieve your career objectives is critical
- How to overcome challenges and progress your career
- Create influence and support ever growing skills in yourself and your team
Chris Skipper-Conway, Chairperson, VIC ICT for Women
14:10 Panel Discussion: Future of work – what’s changing and how can you prepare for the workforce of tomorrow?
How is the workplace being reshaped by artificial intelligence, machine learning, robotics and other new technologies?
What skills and capabilities can be replaced by digital technologies?
What are the new skillsets that will be required from human workforce in the next 5 to 10 years?
How can you prepare and what does this mean for tech professionals?
14:50 Afternoon break
15:20 Visiting the GC Hub and listening to a start-ups pitch competition
- Welcoming speech delivered by Sharon Hunnybell, Chief Executive Officer, Gold Coast Hub
- Visit of the new GC Hub building
- Presentation – Investing in women in tech: How universities together with industry can make the change
- After the pitch, the start-ups and delegates will have the opportunity to continue the conversation with the jury of investors during networking drinks.
Holly Grofski, Managing Director & Chief Executive Officer, Global Merces Funds Management
17:15 Back to the venue
19:00 Official event dinner